The Building Department enforces the building, zoning, occupancy, sign, and fire codes, inspections, sewer tap inspections, and general property codes.
The Building Department is responsible for:
- Enforcement of the Pennsylvania State Building Code
- Building Inspections
- Fire Inspections
- Residential Plan Review
- Building Permit Issuance
- Zoning Permit Issuance and Inspections
- Sewer-Tap Inspections
- Sign Permit Review, Issuance and Inspections
- Business Occupancy Permits
- Property Code Enforcement
The Building Department does not perform plumbing or electrical inspections, commercial plan reviews, septic system inspections or health inspections.
Plumbing inspections and the issuance of plumbing permits are performed by Allegheny County Health Department Plumbing Inspection Division at 412-922-6270.
Electrical inspections and commercial plan reviews are conducted by any State of Pennsylvania Certified third party inspector or agency. A list of State approved electrical inspection agencies and commercial plan review examiners are available on the Cover-All-Contacts form (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
For more information or requirements on septic systems, contact the Allegheny County Health Department at 412-578-8054.
- Current Codes Enforced by the Department (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Pennsylvania Energy Alternative - 2009 (PDF) Opens a New Window. : Used for Residential energy compliance in lieu of ResCheck or the International Energy Conservation Code
- U.S. Department of Energy ResCheck or ComCheck: Used for energy compliance in lieu of using the PA alternative or International Energy Conservation Code
- Pennsylvania State Building Code: Link to the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction CodeOpens a New Window.